We’re Hiring: Human Resources & Operations Director (HR/OD)
Position: Human Resources & Operations Director (HR/OD)
Full Time, exempt position
Supervisor: Executive Director
- Human Resources management
- Front Desk Administrative Staff supervision
- IT oversight
- Event support
- Facilities and Grounds oversight
Overview/ Essential Duties:
We’re looking for a talented, hands on administrator to join our creative and passionate team at the Richmond Art Center, where we’re proud to have provided over 80 years of excellence in arts education and exhibitions in the East Bay. As a dynamic arts organization that empowers and transforms individuals and the community through creative exploration, experience and education, we are looking to add an enthusiastic and resourceful person with the right blend of HR and operations management experience to our team.
The Human Resources & Operations Director (HR/OD) is responsible for the day-to-day management of the Human Resource function and Front Desk Administrative Support. In addition, this position has oversight responsibility for Facilities, IT, and coordination of support for Art Center events. The HR/OD Director reports directly to the Executive Director and is a member of the Art Center executive team. The HR/OD position supervises three FTE.
With responsibility for personnel matters, the HR/OD Director takes the lead in fostering a work environment that supports all staff individually and as members of the Art Center team. The HR/OD Director helps promote high employee morale through fostering an environment of respect, teamwork, and professionalism. In addition, the HR/OD provides oversight of various aspects of customer service, operations, and event planning. Finally, the HR/OD Director is responsible for ensuring that the IT, facilities are safe, maintained, and serviced in a prompt manner. The HR/OD Director is also a key team member in developing and implementing the Administrative departmental budget, strategic plan, and as they relate to internal operations
Personnel/Human Resources Management
- Promote an organizational culture that fosters cooperation, communication, teamwork and trust
- Lead regular review of Art Center’s human resources policies, procedures and practices in collaboration with other members of the executive team; oversee implementation and communication of new or updated workplace policies, procedures, and practices
- Oversee annual performance evaluation process and support professional development planning for all employees
- Develop and foster an environment to maximize employee growth and retention
- Manage the employee recruitment process to interview stage in coordination with the supervisor for the posted position; ensure that all hiring procedures are in keeping with the law
- Conduct background checks of chosen prospects
- Plan and conduct new employee orientations to ensure that new employees understand established policies and procedures; Issue keys, email addresses and alarm codes
- Oversee sexual harassment prevention training and IT training
- Manage IIPP (Injury & Illness Prevention Program), including occupational safety and health standards and practices in keeping with the law
- Ensure all HR postings and notifications are in accordance with the law
- Provide mediation and conflict resolution for Art Center employees; Partner with supervisors to resolve employee conflicts and situations in a timely and thorough manner
Administrative and Operations
- Recruit, evaluate, and train operations staff
- Supervise the Visitor Services Coordinator who manages the front desk operations including class registration and customer service
- Oversees all aspects of Customer Service ensuring a welcoming, safe, and informative environment.
- Supervise the Visitor Services/ Volunteer Coordinator to manage the volunteer program including the recruiting, training and scheduling of volunteers, interns and Community Service workers
- Ensure that there are standard operating procedures for all positions
- Oversee management of database system and completeness of reports.
- Assist in developing and monitoring administrative budget
- Oversee the acquisition of office supplies and arrange maintenance of office equipment
- Maintain necessary operating licenses
- Manage set-up of appropriate work spaces including computers, email access, telephone
- Be the point person for all IT software and hardware, telephone, alarm systems and other equipment needs, ensuring repair and maintenance takes place in a timely manner
- Manage internal information system including Google docs, calendars
- Work with key staff and a board committee to assure that necessary resources are available
- Manage all logistical aspects of events working with staff and external partners, from event setup to takedown
- Supervise the arrangement of audio/visual systems and appropriate furnishings for events
- Help evaluate and improve the Art Center’s events
Facilities and Grounds:
- Supervise facilities and grounds maintenance and cleaning schedule
- Support the Facility Coordinator; Order supplies, maintaining necessary inventory
- Serve as the primary contact with the City of Richmond for facility, telephone and equipment repairs
- Manage facilities rentals program including calendar management and provision of needed equipment.
- Implement and update the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and oversee prescribed training sessions for staff and Volunteers.
- Oversee Safety Committee
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
- BA/BS degree with a minimum of 5 years of experience in progressively more responsible HR, administrative, office, and operations management positions in nonprofit organizations or equivalent education and experience
- Strong background, and training in Human Resources management, including current knowledge labor law and HR protocol
- Experience in coordinating and overseeing public events
- Strong experience in supervision of administrative and operations staff
- Outstanding interpersonal communication and mediation skills within a cross-cultural and intergenerational environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills, ability to coordinate and prioritize a number of activities with attention to detail and independent follow through.
- Experience with IT management/oversight, including both MAC and PC operating systems
- Intermediate to advanced Excel and Word skills and knowledge of data base systems
- Facilities safety and IIPP (Injury & Illness Prevention Program) experience
About the Richmond Art Center:
A non-profit organization, the Richmond Art Center has provided 80 years of excellence in arts education and exhibitions for the East Bay region. The Art Center’s mission is to be a dynamic arts organization that empowers and transforms individuals and the community through creative exploration, experience and education. The largest Art Center in the East Bay, the 1951 vintage modern facility is part of Richmond’s Civic Center Plaza and receives partial funding from the City of Richmond. The Art Center offers one of the most extensive schedules of exhibitions and art instruction programs in the East Bay, presenting 14 to 16 exhibitions in four galleries and providing 50-60 art classes and workshops in six studios four times a year to 450-500 students each quarter, ages 5 and up of all skill levels. In addition, the Art Center reestablished its Art in the Community program in 2012, providing after school art experiences to 21 schools and various community centers, engaging nearly 2000 underserved student age children. The Art Center has over 600 members, 100 volunteers, 12 full-time and four part-time staff. The Center has an operating budget of just over $1.4 million.
To apply, please submit the following materials via email:
Resume and a cover letter introducing yourself, stating how your work experience qualifies you for this position, how this opportunity supports your career goals, and specifying experience you have had in a role that cultivates a positive and collaborative workplace culture. Also include the names and contact information for three professional references. Open until filled.
Send all materials to email@example.com
Compensation & Benefits: $54,000-$58,000.
DOE, includes vacation, sick, holidays and contribution to group health plan.
The Richmond Art Center is an equal opportunity employer, values diversity and respects differences.
Principals only. Recruiters please don’t contact this job poster.
Do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers
OK to highlight this job opening for persons with disabilities