The 24th Annual Art of Living Black CALL FOR ARTISTS
THE 24TH ANNUAL ART OF LIVING BLACK
Exhibition at the Richmond Art Center: January 14 – March 13, 2020
Open Studios: Saturday, February 29 and Sunday, March 1; Saturday, March 7 and Sunday, March 8; and Saturday, March 14 and Sunday, March 15, 2020
Satellite Exhibitions: Throughout January, February and March. Details to be published on The Art of Living Black website and in the Open Studios Guide
Jan Hart-Schuyers Artistic Achievement Awardees’ Talk: Saturday, January 25, 12:30-2pm
Reception: Saturday, January 25, 2-5pm
Closing Party: Friday, March 13, 3pm-5pm
Co-founded by the late Jan Hart-Schuyers and the late Rae Louise Hayward, The Art of Living Black is a non-juried group Exhibition featuring work by artists of African descent. The Exhibition is held at the Richmond Art Center and is accompanied by a self-guided Open Studios tour and Satellite Exhibitions.
Registration may be done online, over the phone, or in person at the Richmond Art Center. The deadline for artist registration is Thursday, October 31, 2019.
This event is organized by The Art of Living Black Steering Committee in partnership with the Richmond Art Center. The Steering Committee is a dedicated group of established Bay Area artists touched by the vision of founders Jan Hart-Shuyers and Rae Louise Hayward. The group’s mission is to preserve and expand the vision of their beloved founders by supporting emerging, mid-career and established artists of African descent.
- For registration and exhibition questions please contact: The Richmond Art Center at 510.620.6772 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- For open studios and satellite exhibition questions please contact: TAOLB Steering Committee at email@example.com or The Art of Living Black Facebook page
IMPORTANT DATES FOR ARTISTS
Artist Info Session I: Wednesday, September 18, 6:30pm-7:30pm More info…
Artist Info Session II: Saturday, October 12, 11am-12pm More info…
Registration Deadline: Thursday, October 31, 11:59pm
RAC Exhibition Artwork Drop Off: Friday, January 3, 11am-4pm and Saturday, January 4, 11am-4pm
RAC Exhibition Artwork Pick Up: Friday, March 13, 5pm-6:30pm and Saturday, March 14, 11am-4pm
- Participation is open to all artists of African descent who reside/work within the nine counties of the Bay Area (Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Solano, Sonoma).
Richmond Art Center Exhibition Artwork Requirements:
- Media: All media accepted.
- Artwork size: Artwork size may not exceed 40 inches wide (including the frame).
- Artwork number: One artwork entry per artist
- New and original work: Artwork submissions must be original work created since 2016 that have not previously been exhibited at the Richmond Art Center.
- Richmond Art Center Member: $65
- Non-RAC Member: $75
The Art of Living Black registration fee includes participation in the exhibition at the Richmond Art Center and open studios/satellite exhibitions. Artists without a space for open studios/satellite exhibitions can request to be offered a space. Artists who do not wish to participate in open studios/satellite exhibitions may choose to opt out at the time of registration (the fee remains the same).
Optional: Artists can upgrade their The Art of Living Black Guide listing by purchasing a discounted ad (view the 2019 Art of Living Black Guide for ad examples):
- 1/4 page ad $50
- 1/2 page ad $80
- Full page ad $150
- Fees: Entry fees are non-refundable.
- Photography and Image Use: The Richmond Art Center and The Art of Living Black reserves the right to use images of submitted artwork, and to photograph the artist, artwork and exhibition for publicity, documentation, and fundraising purposes.
- Exhibition at the Richmond Art Center:
- Delivery of Artwork: Artwork must be delivered to the Richmond Art Center during scheduled drop off dates: Friday, January 3, 11am-4pm and Saturday, January 4, 11am-4pm
- Sales: For any artwork sales at the Richmond Art Center: artist receives 60% of the sale price; Richmond Art Center retains 40%.
- Pick Up: All unsold artworks must be picked up on the scheduled days: Friday, March 13, 5pm-6:30pm and Saturday, March 14, 11am-4pm
- Open Studios Participants: If an artist or venue hosts other artists, each artist must be a registered participant of The Art of Living Black.
ARE YOU READY TO BEGIN YOUR REGISTRATION?