The 23rd Annual Art of Living Black
Exhibition: January 15 – March 8, 2019
Open Studios: Saturday and Sunday, February 23 & 24 and March 2 & 3, 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
Satellite Exhibitions: Throughout January, February and March. Details to be published on The Art of Living Black website and in the Open Studios Guide
Spotlight Artist Talk: Saturday, February 2, 12:30 pm – 2:00 pm
Reception: Saturday, February 2, 2:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Featured Speaker Talk – Joyce Gordon: Saturday, February 9, 12:00 pm – 1:30 pm
Co-founded by the late Jan Hart-Schuyers and the late Rae Louise Hayward, The Art of Living Black is a non-juried group Exhibition featuring work by artists of African descent. The Exhibition is held at the Richmond Art Center and is accompanied by a self-guided Open Studios tour and and Satellite Exhibitions.
Artists can register to participate in the Exhibition and Open Studios/Satellite Exhibitions, or the Exhibition only. Registration may be done online, over the phone, or in person at the Richmond Art Center.
The 23rd Annual Art of Living Black is organized by TAOLB Steering Committee in partnership with the Richmond Art Center. The Art Of Living Black Steering Committee is a dedicated group of established Bay Area artists touched by the vision of founders Jan Hart-Shuyers and Rae Louise Hayward. The group’s mission is to preserve and expand the vision of their beloved founders by supporting emerging, mid-career and established artists of African descent.
- For registration and exhibition questions please contact: The Richmond Art Center at 510.620.6772 /firstname.lastname@example.org
- For open studios and satellite exhibition questions please contact: TAOLB Steering Committee at email@example.com or The Art of Living Black 2019 Facebook page
IMPORTANT DATES FOR ARTISTS
Artist Info Session: Wednesday, November 7, 6:30 pm RSVP
Registration Deadline: Thursday, December 20, 2018 (midnight)
Exhibition Artwork Drop Off: Friday, January 4 and Saturday, January 5, 11:00 am – 4:00 pm
Exhibition Artwork Pick Up: Friday, March 8, 5:00 – 7:00 pm or Saturday, March 9, 11:00 am – 4:00 pm
HOW TO APPLY
- Participation is open to all artists of African descent who reside/work within the nine counties of the Bay Area (Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Solano, Sonoma).
- Artists participating in Open Studios/Satellite Exhibitions must have a studio or space to exhibit their work. Artists without a space can register for Open Studios/Satellite Exhibitions and request to be offered an exhibit space at a satellite exhibition location. For more info contact: TAOLB Steering Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org or The Art of Living Black 2019 Facebook page
Exhibition Artwork Requirements:
- Media: All media accepted.
- Artwork size: Artwork size may not exceed 16 square feet (including the frame).
- New and original work: Artwork submissions must be original work created since 2015 that have not previously been exhibited at the Richmond Art Center.
- Digital image: To register you need to upload a digital file of your artwork in the exhibition. Image files should be jpgs with a maximum width of 1200px and 1 MB file size. For assistance with digital images please contact: TAOLB Steering Committee at email@example.com or The Art of Living Black 2019 Facebook page
- Fees: Entry fees are non-refundable.
- Artwork for Exhibition: Artwork must be installation ready with appropriate hanging hardware.
- Delivery: Artwork must be delivered to the Richmond Art Center during scheduled drop off dates: Friday, January 4 and Saturday, January 5, 11:00 am – 4:00 pm.
- Insurance: The Richmond Art Center shall insure selected artwork for duration of exhibition.
- Photography and Image Use: The Richmond Art Center reserves the right to use images of submitted artwork and to photograph the artist, artwork and exhibition for publicity, documentation, and fundraising purposes.
- Sales: For any artwork sales: artist receives 60% of the sale price; Richmond Art Center retains 40%.
- Pick Up: All unsold artworks must be picked up on the scheduled days: Friday, March 8, 5:00 – 7:00 pm or Saturday, March 9, 11:00 am – 4:00 pm.
OPEN STUDIOS AND SATELLITE EXHIBITION TERMS
- Fees: Entry fees are non-refundable.
- Registered Participants: If an artist or venue hosts other artists, each artist must be a registered participant of TAOLB.
- Photography and Image Use: TAOLB Steering Committee reserves the right to use images of submitted artwork and to photograph the artist, artwork and studio venues for publicity, documentation, and fundraising purposes.
Payment can be made online, over the phone or in person at the Richmond Art Center.
- EXHIBITION ONLY Non-RAC Member: $55
- EXHIBITION ONLY RAC Members: $45
- EXHIBITION AND OPEN STUDIOS/SATELLITE EXHIBITION Non-RAC Member: $95
- EXHIBITION AND OPEN STUDIOS/SATELLITE RAC Member: $85
Optional: Open Studios Artists can upgrade their Open Studios Guide Listing:
- 1/4 page ad $35
- 1/2 page ad $60
- Full page ad $100
ARE YOU READY TO BEGIN YOUR REGISTRATION? MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A DIGITAL IMAGE OF YOUR ARTWORK READY TO UPLOAD. Click the button below to begin the application process.
Image: Rae Louise Hayward, Three Women, date unknown